Sunday, July 4, 2010

Another Year Passes

It's official...Jules is two! She's on her way to being a little heartbreaker and in preparation, Daddy has been shopping for firearms. I figure I won't buy any bullets. That way I can scare the crap out of boys without being tempted to use it!

She had a doctor's appointment last week and the doc says that she is likely to be tall and slender. So allow me to add this all up...my little girl already has beautiful BIG blue eyes. She's shifting to her mother's darker complexion and she's going to be tall and slender. Maybe I ought to look into bullets too!

I'm kidding (sort of)...but seriously, the last year has been amazing. Literally it feels like she grows everyday in some way. We are spending the weekend this weekend working on potty training. By we I mean Mommy. There are certain things that Daddy really has a tough time with and cleaning up accidents is one of them. Don't know what I'd do without Courtney!

We had another summer BBQ for Julia's birthday last weekend. No ponies, bounce houses or clowns, just lots of friends, family and food. Where I come from, that's how its done. It's just a few hours to come together to celebrate a special little girl's birthday. Plus, I fear setting a ridiculous birthday precedent...don't want to have to top it every year!

It was great to have everyone over and fun to spend a few days with LBJ (Luke, Ben, Julia) reunited. The three of them together emit so much energy that you really should wear sunscreen around them. The best was the early mornings. Benny tossing toys into Julia's crib and all three of them doing their best to get Uncle Andy out of bed.

It was also cool to have Nana and Papa spend some good time with Jules. They definitely don't get to see her enough, but I know that Julia knows them and is always excited to see them.

Last year for her first birthday, I did a post with a top ten list about the previous year. In the interest of starting a tradition, here's my top ten list of year two experiences and happenings:
  1. Communication - Love that she can tell us what she wants! Raising children would be easy if they would just speak up and tell people what they want!...and then were reasonable enough to understand and deal with "no"!
  2. Throwing Arm - Once after watching Julia, Pop said "if it's in her right hand, she's throwing it!" Well that's the truth. She's got quite an arm and to be honest, most of the time her form is perfect. She even usually steps with the correct foot!
  3. Kiddie Pool - No better way to cool off!
  4. Vacation - If I may quote Uncle Ben, "the Outer Banks is the greatest place on earth".
  5. Papa and Uncle Louie - Without them, the bathroom remodel would still be a dream! By the way...should have a completion post coming soon!
  6. SNOW! - A winter of epic proportions! When I was growing up there were so many stories about the blizzard of '78. Now I can share similar stories with Julia. But when we get our next once in 30 year winter, her husband better come dig me out!
  7. Tax Deductions - With a kid and paying loads of interest on your home, doing taxes is fun!
  8. Peace, Love & BBQ - A book that Courtney got me for Christmas that is expanded my enthusiasm for BBQ. I've also learned a few key tricks from is and feel like I'm improving in the craft.
  9. Friends and Family - Even though we are separated from family, it has been much easier to raise Julia because of all the help that we get from our friends and family. We're just waiting for some friends to expand their families so that we can return the favor.
  10. My Girls - Always at the top of the list! No matter how rough it gets, we're in it together and just a smile can turn your day around!
-Andy

No comments: