Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Boy Named...Kemba?

So...Ummm yeah...I have a big mouth and I may have really done it this time! First there was LBMF and now after months of debate, we may finally have a name for our son...although not by choice.

You see, after the UCONN Men's Basketball Team made it's improbable run in the Big East Tournament, winning 5 games in 5 days, I kinda might have said to several friends and associates that if they go on to win the National Championship that I would name my son "Kemba"! Now as we sit on the eve of the National Championship Game with Connecticut set to play Butler, those friends and associates are aggressively reminding me of my off the wall guarantee!

Now let's be honest, we're not naming him Kemba...not unless Courtney has an affinity for the name that I'm not sensing right now; however, these very good friends of mine have guaranteed that they will do all that they can to make sure that he at least earns Kemba as a nickname! With Courtney's due date exactly one month from today, all I can say is "LET'S GO HUSKIES!!!"

Julia has a different thought about naming her baby brother. She has been calling him Wyatt for a few weeks now. Wyatt is a character on one of her favorite shows Super Why. A couple weeks ago, I was flipping through a name book and I showed Julia where Wyatt was. A few days later, she was flipping through the same book by herself. She said that she was going to find her baby brother's name. Sure enough she brought it to us and showed us the exact page that Wyatt was on!

Kemba Wyatt Wisk might have a real battle on his hands with his big sister as they grow up together. Julia seems to be becoming REALLY competitive! All of a sudden, she wants to beat me at everything that we do...running up the driveway when we get home, getting dressed in the morning, putting on our shoes, etc.
Last week I picked her up from school and asked her (as I always do) what she did at school today. She said that she played tag with her friends and she went on to say that "none of my friends could catch me because I'm super fast!" Then she proceeds to name each of her friends and tell me one by one that she is faster then each of them.

Well, I don't know where she gets this blazing speed from, (I know how I run and I've seen Courtney...neither is pretty nor remarkably fast) but I hope she holds onto it! It will be a nice compliment to her jump shot!
One thing is for certain...she is growing up super fast. Courtney and I were talking the other day about how the next few years could be the most challenging of our lives. What is remarkable is that they are also the best days of our lives. It doesn't get any better than this!

-Andy

1 comment:

amanda said...

OMG. This post had me (and my mom who is sitting here with me cracking up).

1) I think Wyatt is a great name. Julia has spoken. Let's just forget about the Kemba thing.
2) ONE MONTH FROM TODAY? Holy moly. Where has all the time gone?
3) Andy, you ARE fsst...at drinking.
4) I miss you guys.